Thursday, August 1, 2013

Back to work

Location: Mendoza, Mendoza Province, Argentina
When I arrived, I Managed to find a work very quickly!!  I just went in a ski renting shop, ask if they need someone, and end up talking with the boss for 30min with the little bit of Spanish I knew at the time, and he ask me if I could start the next day!!
Here the ski rentals don’t rent only the ski, but also all the cloth, walking boots, goggle…
So I spend my days, serving clients, repairing and waxing skies and snowboard, and washing cloth and boots.
It is very depressing to see how many people have absolutely no respect for the equipment when it’s rental and not theirs!!

I’m almost the only one that speak English or French, each time there is foreigners client I have to take care of it, and I realise switching between all the language, is very confusing, and I always end up talking in the wrong language.

I really like the job, it get me closer to the ski and mountains industry. It makes me meet few guides and it gave me some very good opportunity to get a job in the Aconcagua during the summer.

The job is very good for me but the dark side is that I get paid almost nothing, and I work a lot!!  I don’t get a lot of time to do other things.

The culture about the work and the timing here is very different, usually all the shop open a bit late, around 9-10AM, and stay open quite late (9-10PM), but almost every shop are closing few hours in the afternoon for “la siesta” (the nap), which is a bit disturbing at first.
Also the timing here is very different, people will have lunch around 2PM, and then have dinner around 10PM!!! also if you want to go out, everything is much later that in Canada for example, here you start the pre-party around 11PM to go in the club around 2 or 3AM, until the end of the night, it’s a bit difficult at first as I’m not used to it, I got tired mush earlier than others.

1 comment: