Thursday, September 24, 2015

Arriving in Chiapas, starting in San cristobal de las casas.

Location: San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chis., Mexico
After a long bus ride over night, I arrived at 6AM In Tuxtla Gutierres the biggest city in Chiapas,
from there I found my way with the collectivos to get outside town at the entrance of el Canon del sumidero, it’s a huge canyon that you can visit by boat or following the ridge on top of the mountains to get to different Miradores, Unfortunately the access to the miradores is closed on Tuesday and of course it was Tuesday. So I just get on a boat to see the canyon from the bottom and it is pretty impressive. the only bad side is that the water is extremely polluted, regularly along the way, the current gather ll the garbage people throw away and it make few small plastic island, it’s really sad to see such a beautiful place being trashed like that.

after this visit I jumped again in some collectivos to reach the touristy town of san Cristobal de las casas. and realize that Chiapas is much cheaper than the other part I visited in mexico, First with the collectivos it is possible to get almost anywhere for very cheap, so no need to use the big comfortable bus that are very expensive. also the accommodation is much cheaper, My first nights in ensenada, the cheapest backpacker was 300 Pesos,  in here I paid 175 Pesos for 3 nights!!
The first thing I notice when I arrived was that it was as expected very touristy, there was travel agency everywhere proposing different tours to visit all the surroundings. putting apart the touristy aspect of the city, the town is really enjoyable, very nice architecture and very beautiful streets that reminded me a bit of Guanajuato.

in the surrounding I visited a really impressive cave, a huge waterfall and some beautiful lakes. there is a bit of everything in chiapas!

I also went to a small indigenous town, where it’s possible to visit a very special church, where people come to make some very special rituals, that include burning lots of candles while spending lot of time saying some incantation and make a chicken turn around the head od the whole family. it was really interesting to see.
but at the same time I feel I shouldn’t have visit that. As much as I don’t like religions I think these people deserve to do these things in peace, and seeing them doing these rituals always surrounded by many tourist must be very annoying for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment