Friday, December 14, 2012

Going to the north of west coast

Location: Karamea, New Zealand
After leaving Arthur’s pass, I stop in Greymouth a small town next to the sea, I walk along the coast line for 3 hours and then hitch hike again to get to Punakaki to see “the pancakes rock” that is a nice place to see, then continue my way up to Westport to think about what to do next !!



I finally decided to do one of New Zealand great walks, that is a 4 days hike from the north of the west coast to golden bay, that is north of the south island.
So the next day I went to Karamea that is a very small town, only 600 people, mainly famers, it’s the most north town on the west coast. Spend a night there and the next day, I start the track beginning of the afternoon.

In Karamea I stayed in a place that I really loved and that match exactly with some idea I have in mind. It’s a permaculture farm and a backpacker’s hotel with more accommodation in the farm. The people there were really nice, and it was a really good feeling to stay there. They want to open a small restaurant only for the people staying in the backpacker and on the accommodation they have next to the farm. The restaurant would be very simple with only one choice a day on the menu depending on what’s comes out of the farm. To avoid any food waist and keep only very local organic fresh food.
Also the policy of the place is to be carbon neutral and compensate for the carbon emission of the people coming to the area from foreign places.

I really loved that place unfortunately as it is necessary to book for the heaphy tracks that I was about to do, I couldn’t stay longer there. even booking only one day in advance it’s still too much to stay really free to do whatever I want …


No comments:

Post a Comment