Tuesday, March 5, 2013

One last island, Koh Tao !!

Location: Ko Tao, Thailand
Koh Tao is considered as THE destination for diving. It is a very small island, and all around there is nice spot for snorkeling and diving.
When I arrived in koh tao it was very very busy and very hard to find accommodation at correct prices, I check 2 backpacker that was totally full, but got very lucky to find just after a shared room in a very big resort for the same price as the backpacker, so I was sharing a nice room with 3 other people, and had access to the swimming pool (for people not staying in the resort, just accessing to the swimming pool was the same price as what I paid for the bed) I arrived quite late so didn’t do much that day, just admiring a very nice sunset !!

The next day I just went walking in the north of the island to access to a nice view point and a beautiful snorkelling spot.


Because of a very inaccurate map that show footpath that doesn’t exist I end up walking again on the view point at night which is nice view too. But very depressing to see how many fishing boat there is, I think I have read somewhere that fishing with big light like that was very bad for ecology and the ocean is literally full of these boat. It’s sad to see that they really don’t care about the environment, on every aspect.

Next day I hired a Kayak and I went to a very small island just next to Koh Tao the island is beautiful, and the snorkelling here is supposed to be amazing.

 Unfortunately as every beautiful place in Thailand it is totally over exploited, there is a lot of big boat coming daily from koh tao, koh phangan and koh samui. And you can see very clearly the impact on the environment, as soon as you go snorkeling around, most of the coral are now dead and there is garbage everywhere underwater, bottle, cloth, many plastics, and also many tires. There is still some nice fish, but much less than other area on this island.

As I was by kayak I stop at a much quieter place on my way back to see more fish and coral.

And for my last day on the island, I went by motor bike to visit all the south of the island. There is some nice view point, nice beach and nice snorkeling spot. The weather wasn't very good, but it was still a very good day. Also next to the main pier, there is a wreck, which is nice to see.





After many days in the island, it’s now time to go back on the mainland, my visa will expire soon, I have just enough time to get to Bangkok and continue to another country.


1 comment:

  1. bin j'ai jamais eu un gros bidon comme yoshie :p mais peu etre que j'ai un peu perdu je sais pas trop :p

    ReplyDelete